The last two and a half weeks we have been adjusting to our new family. It has been quite an adventure for all four of us. This is a very hard post to write because I know that many of you reading are waiting for you child(ren) to come home and I remember what that was like. You want it more than anything in the whole world, just like I did. We are so excited to have Kenley home. Several times a day, I look at both my boys and thank the Lord that we are finally a family that is together. All four of us, together. That is so huge!! That said, the adjustment is hard. We feel very blessed that Kenley is showing many positive signs of good attachment. He demonstrates good eye contact, he will cry when hurt and come to us for comfort, he is affectionate with both Josh and I, he does not hoard or gorge food. The first few days to a week were just like being a first time mom again. We felt awkward and out of place. We had this precious little boy and weren't exactly sure how to handle many of the situations that arose. I feel much more comfortable now than I did then. Our days are going much more smoothly, I feel like we have, and Kenley has, found a routine and comfort in knowing what to expect. We are still dealing with some bedtime drama. There is lots of crying and pushing us away but we are persistent parents (especially daddy) and we always win the battle! It's hard to know if he just doesn't want to go to bed or if that is the time of day that he lets his emotions out, is mourning for his losses, and testing whether mommy and daddy will still love him and stay with him even if he kicks and screams and spits until he crashes out. Some nights are better than others and we've actually even had one night where he jumped into bed, pulled the covers over him and fell asleep. I was like, "who is this child?". He didn't stick around though! LOL. So until the latter becomes the norm... we will continue to cradle, and rock and sing to him, waiting for him to relax, to let go and fall asleep knowing that we have not given up on him. We will continue to pray for his heart and his mind. We will continue to ask God to mend the wounds of being an orphan for 3 years. We will continue to strive to be the best parents that we can be, for both of our boys.
Saturday, March 21, 2009
Our new family...
Posted by Mary at 7:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
You are so awesome Mary and Josh, we love you guys!!!
Thank you for sharing.
Christina
oh sis you are making me cry again! you guys are doing an exceptional job, and im not just saying that its true:) aunt sarah
Thank you for continuing to share...it sounds hard, but amazing none the less. So glad Kenley is home forever!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I can so relate to your feelings. Keep up the good work, stay strong and know that it will get easier and more amazing with every passing day!
Sweet Mary, I will pray for you right now. Just keep in mind that it will be the hardest 6-12 months. Hang in there. It sounds like he is doing great otherwise! Let me know if you need ANYTHING!!
Hi Mary, I'm sure he is just overly tired by the end of the day. And you're right, this is the time he "feels" everything...happy, sad, mad, loved, etc. Sounds like you're awesome parents!
Post a Comment