Monday, January 25, 2010

"The Earthquake"

This is the first post of 2010 and what a year it has been already. Since my last post we have celebrated Kenley's first Christmas, first New Years and his first Birthday Party at home. Pretty big stuff, man! I will post more on all of that later.

On the afternoon of January 12th, we got news of "The Earthquake". I had no idea at that moment that my days and weeks to come would be spent stalking my computer at almost the same rate I had when I was waiting for news on our adoption process. There are so many amazing people that we have had the pleasure of meeting in Haiti. Are they OK? What about the kids? What will happen now? Are they being evacuated? What about the paperwork in those buildings that collapsed? It has been quite a roller coaster and my Haitian baby is already home! I cried many tears for the families that lost loved ones, for the tummy's that were hungry, for the adoptive parents that felt so helpless. The struggle is far from over and there is still so much pain. Over the last couple of days, however, there have been many, many miracles. Lots families have been united with their children months, if not years, sooner than they would have been. Some of these families just started the process of adoption and many of them have been waiting far too long already. It makes my heart happy to know that so many of these kids that have just been through a very traumatic experience are now at home getting the love and comfort that they need.

So... how has all this affected our family? I am so thankful that Kenley came home before this tragedy. Why do I feel so bad saying that? Ugh! I am anxious to find out if his birth parents and other family members are still alive. Will I ever know for sure? I am sad for the country that my son was born to. The people of Haiti have suffered so much already and now this has swept the legs right out from under them. Please pray.... for Haiti as a country, for the spirit of It's people, for Kenley's birth family. I don't know what else to do. Give money if you can, and pray.

1 comments:

Jana said...

Been thinking about you guys so much!!!