Thursday, September 17, 2009

So... How's it going?

I was looking back through old posts and realized I hadn't written about "how it's going" since March. Kenley had only been home a few weeks at that time. Things have definitely changed since then. Overall, Kenley is doing really great. Bedtime seemed to be the major "issue" back then and is not an issue at all now. He is still very social but has really learned more of what an appropriate interaction with a stranger looks like. It is rare now that he will jump into the arms of complete strangers. Communication advances have blown my mind. Six months can be a long time but not when you are talking about learning an entire new language. It amazes me every day that we have the conversations that we do. He is so cute too... if I don't get something that he is saying right away, he gets a little frustrated with me! Sometimes, Mason will even translate for him. "Mom, he's saying he wants a bike for his birthday!" LOL!!

Having 2 four year old boys is fun, exciting and can be very challenging. There are many things that Kenley challenges me with that I know is typical four year old behavior because Mason (and all the other 4 yr. olds in my daycare) are doing the same thing. We keep a close eye out for those "non-typical" behaviors because they need to be dealt with differently and right away. It's not ok in our house to glare at your mom and dad, smirk when you are being disciplined, or be nice to daddy and treat mommy like dirt, etc.... I know, I know... some of you are saying "Oh, my bio kid does all that!" I don't think I can explain it, it's just different. There is a look behind the eyes that tells you so much more than the outward behavior and you really don't understand until you see it. Ok, I got that off my chest!

Mason and Kenley together has been one of my favorite blessings that has come from bringing another child into our family. They have developed such a strong bond. Yesterday, I was putting the boys in the truck when Mason had a serious meltdown. I'm talking tears and everything. Kenley was already in and Mason though I was trying to seat him away from Kenley. "Mason, WHAT is the matter?" "I want to sit next to my BROTHER!" "You will be next to your brother, I just need you to get in on this side!" Ok! All is well!! I love watching them play. Kenley still mimics a lot of what Mason does, it makes total sense to me. Mason is very protective of his brother. Don't get me wrong, they fight just like brothers too!

When I think about all that Kenley has been through in his short little life and especially in the last six months... he really is doing GREAT! And so are we :-)

4 comments:

Julie said...

So glad you all are doing so well.

Kathy Cassel said...

I'm glad he's doing so well. I was afraid he would be pretty aggressive with Mason.

Beth said...

I can totally relate! Our little guy has been home as long as yours and his English blows us away. We also experience normal behaviors for his age, and not so normal (post-institutional) behaviors that people would miss if they weren't paying attention. I hope Kenley continues to do well. It's nice to read about the experiences of others... especially when they are similar to ours!! :o)

Sean's Ladies said...

so glad you're back to blogging! you are so right that you know that you know that you know when it is not typical. Keep it up! you're a great momma!

maybe twin girls next? since you have this doubled age thing down?! :)